Thanks to the simplicity of Wordpress and the collective talents of the CAA creative and account teams and Totem’s tech team, the new caamagazine.ca is now live.
About three months ago, when we decided to give our website a much needed makeover, we had a few important criteria to meet: We wanted the creative team to be able to quickly update and easily maintain the site; we wanted it to have a simple and elegant design and we needed the site to launch in conjunction with the Summer issue of the print magazine (which dropped in early May).
Using a Wordpress template met all three requirements. Plus the team was able to extensively modify the template to suit our needs, including adding a right rail and banner ad position on the home page and slide show and poll plug-ins. As well, the template allows the CAA team to easily migrate the archived content from our old site to the new site.
Having a nimble and flexible web platform is important for the CAA edit and art team from a workflow perspective, but most importantly, it also helps Totem work with our CAA clients to continue to build a community around content.
As well, the entire edit and art team now has some valuable web experience that comes from building and maintaining the site.
Here are some highlights of the new caamagazine.ca:
- We’ve streamlined our content categories to reflect the content pillars of the magazine—Travel, Automotive and Lifestyle—and to make it easier for readers to find the content they’re looking for. Readers can now more easily find content around Car Care and Maintenance and Car Reviews (in the Auto tab), read about Road Trips and get inspiration for World Travel (in the Travel tab) and learn more about the environment and how they can protect their families and homes (in the Lifestyle tab).
- It’s now easier to find contests—the site now has 3 contests currently running: A trip to Virginia Beach, a kids gardening prize pack and our Summer Photo Contest (an editorial initiative that is also promoted within the magazine).
- The home page poll: The poll will now be updated and refreshed weekly to drive further engagement with readers. Right now, we’re asking readers what their favourite part of a road trip is.
- The new tag cloud: Allows readers to easily connect with site content from the home page.
- Greater prominence of our Twitter feed: @caamagazine. We currently have 147 followers, up by 30 since the site launched.